Monday 29 August 2011

Magazine Addict – Cook Vegetarian September 2011




After a morning of cardmaking, me and my four-year-old son did some baking this afternoon. We chose this recipe from this month’s Cook Vegetarian Magazine. My notes are in italics!

Despite their name, they tasted cheesy rather than of carrot or thyme.

Oaty Carrot and Thyme Muffins

175g plain flour
50g porridge oats
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mustard powder (I used ready-made mustard)
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and ground black pepper
225g carrots, coarsely grated
lOOg vegetarian mature Cheddar, grated (I used Red Leicester as it was all I had in the fridge)
100ml vegetable oil
100ml milk
2 large free-range eggs

1 Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.(I don’t have a muffin tin , so used ordinary cake tins and got more, smaller muffins.)  Mix the flour, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, mustard (as ready-made, I mixed this in later with wet ingredients) and thyme together in a large bowl. Season with plenty of ground black
pepper and a good pinch of salt.

2 Stir in the carrots and 3/4of the cheese. Mix together the oil, milk and egg, Add to the dry ingredients and stir briefly.

3 Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, sprinkle over the remaining cheese, (forgot to do this and had to grab them back out of the oven to sprinkle the cheese) and bake for 20-25 minutes
or until risen and golden brown on top. (Did you notice? No oven temperature is given. I guessed gas mark 6 and they cooked in 20 mins).


We ate quite a lot of these, despite them being a bit greasy ( maybe because I used the wrong cheese?).

No comments: