We made the Berry Bakewell from this magazine. My son and I went out first to pick the blackberries - it started to rain but he was happy to get wet while blackberry picking!
Our tart didn't look much like their picture - and not just because it lacked the professional finish! The filling was purple because the recipe tells you to stir half of the berries into the 'Bakewell' mixture. It didn't look like they'd done that!
It tasted absolutely gorgeous- very sweet - next time I might use less sugar.
Here's the recipe(my notes are in italics):
300g shortcrust pastry
3-4 tablespoonsjam ( we used strawberry)
100g berries, e.g. blueberries, raspberries, blackberries ( blackberries of course)
150g butter ( used a bit less than this)
150g caster sugar
150g ground almonds
30g flaked almonds (we omitted these)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C or gas mark 4.
2. Grease a round tin or dish (24cm/91/2in diameter).
3. Roll out the pastry and line the tin/dish.
4. Spread the jam over the pastry base.
5. Sprinkle half of the berries over the jam.
6. Make the filling mixture by combining the eggs, butter, caster sugar and ground almonds together. Now stir in the remaining berries.
7. Pour the filling mixture over the berries.
8. Sprinkle the almonds over the cake mix.9. Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins, until firm to the touch and golden. (In fact mine was in there for an hour and was not overcooked ....it got neglected while we retrieved our rabbit from next door’s garden).